Monday, December 28, 2015

A Hat of Many Dreams













You meet someone in the crowd wearing same hat. Who wears it best, you wonder? And you might even alternate a couple of hats, depending on mood, style or season.
But what happens when a hat "wears" the persons?
This is an invitation to dream: what is inspiring you? How do you see yourself when you are wearing the "hat of many dreams?"
Nowadays everyone is a story teller; in the rush for sensational, we tend to forget that ordinary people make the best stories. This is my favourite hat ever. I started this series with my own family and our innermost self-projections but I intend to extend the project, take my hat around, ask people about their dreams, get their eyes off their phones and uncover their stories. Ultimately, this is about connecting with each other; a tale of individuals and of identity.


While digital photography is now quite an established art, my project aims to be a social experiment, combining interview, documentary & portrait photography and possibly sound. What we are looking at is a cross over with a very acute problem we all have - feeling socially disconnected and inadequate while being so virtually connected.

We are juggling quite a few hats during any given day. Some instances we are who we need to be and not necessarily what defines our core. We wear various social masks, we guard our beliefs and our inner sanctum. So much so that it can be confronting to answer honestly an initial question "who are you?"; to think about who we are, who we wanted to be and who we have become. 

Making a portrait for each of my sitters involves more than just pressing the shutter release of my camera. I look at it more as an act of building the portrait together; it is collaboration through our interaction, as opposed to a selfie or taking a photo through an automatic photo booth. The result – their portrait – is a combination of my images and their words, both equally important in defining them. I aim to explore further this connection between the artist and the sitter; by dedicating the time to listen and capture their dream.

I draw on my photographic abilities and also on my reportage and storytelling skills to engage with my audience. In most cases, I know very little about them until the time of the sitting.
I aim to capture my sitters’ true self, expressing emotions through the power of images, using minimal props and my ability to read body language and facial expressions.

Their stories are approached from two perspectives: as an artist, I pay attention to aesthetics. I take the time to study their physiognomy and the surroundings in order to create strong images. As a member of the same community, I am genuinely interested in getting to know the people around me and connect with them.  
I draw on my own multicultural background; prompting them to share the uniqueness of their dream and what makes them distinctive.

My project is a tale of individuality and identity but it also reflects cultural, social and contemporary snippets by matching the individuals with the role they play in their community. For instance, “The Leader” is the portrait of an aspiring politician. ‘The Healer” is a nurse and wild life volunteer.
The sitters have the key of the entire project, as ultimately they are the only ones who truly know how honest they were in their answers. My role is to engage them and try to capture what I think it's their essence, the way it emerges from our discussion. It mightn't seem challenging but consider this: it took a person quite a few years of life to become who they are; yet I will endeavour to uncover and detail their personality in minutes. 
As for me, what I am truly hoping to achieve with this project is the one thing that defines me as an artist: finding the stories that need to be told. Connecting and getting the others to reconnect as well. 
I would dearly love to get back on the saddle so to speak and do more artwork, find that spark again, do my dreaming and inspire the others to do that too.

If you are interested to have your portrait taken in this series, please contact me.

2 comments:

  1. Akka this is such an amazing idea! I think living in Canberra can be an isolating experience for some, particularly as we live in such a transient city. There is a reason why Canberra has a lot of community groups to be a part of if you are able to research them and discover them. It is to help the community to connect, not just online. I look forward to reading more and following this wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kylie. The project has now one year behind it and during this year, I have discovered so many beautiful people. So many amazing stories. I feel humbled by the response I had so far and I have learned so much in the process. here's to another year of stories; I look forward to it.

      Delete